Aluminium Treadplate Sheets
Aluminium tear plates (Aluminium treadplate sheets)
Tear plate or checkered sheet is an aluminum sheet with a diagonally ribbed structure offset in blocks. Thanks to the profiled surface, they have particularly high slip resistance, but are also frequently used for decorative purposes. The market offers steel, stainless steel as well as aluminum nipple sheets.
There are two types of aluminum tear plates: duet and quintet as well as diamond, barley grain and almond (depending on the shape and number of adjacent "ripples"). Like other aluminum sheets, they are available in standard dimensions of 1,000 mm x 2,000 mm, 1.25 mm x 2,500 mm and 1,500 mm x 3,000 mm. The sheet thicknesses range from 1.2 to 20 mm.
The terms tear plate and checkered sheet are often used synonymously. But there is a difference: the finish of the surface pattern. Tear plate has a diamond pattern, checkered sheet a check pattern in which the individual bulb-shaped corrugations are offset. Checkered sheet is often used instead of the classic tear plate, among other things, because water - which freezes in the cold - cannot easily settle in between the corrugations.
Tear plate made of aluminum is produced by rolling and cross-cutting aluminum strip. The corrugation is introduced during production with great effort by forming rolls.
Aluminum tear plates can be easily further processed with the usual processes for sheet metal processing such as bending, punching, laser or waterjet cutting and welding.
Above all, the corrugation of the sheet increases its anti-slip properties. In addition, tear plate is often used for decorative purposes.
Some of the industry sectors in which aluminum tear plates are used:
- Mechanical engineering
- Construction of stairs and staircases, manhole covers
- Manufacture of general commodities
- Low specific density (2.7 g/cm3; compared to steel, aluminum is only half as heavy with the same strength, but has a larger volume)
- Ideal for decorative applications
- Can be recycled as often as required without loss of quality
- Energy consumption during recycling only 5 to 10 % of primary production
- Superior processing properties
- High thermal and electrical conductivity
- Magnetic neutrality
XOM Materials currently offers tear plates/checkered sheets with the following material designations:
- EN AW-5754 (AlMg3) (3.3535)