A steel coil is a steel strip wound into a roll. The starting material is hot-rolled coil (a hot-rolled product with a width of at least 600 mm, produced in thicknesses of about 1.5 to 25 mm). The hot rolled coils are subsequently cold-rolled into a range of products supplied as steel coils, including surface-treated sheets and strips, electrical steel, thin sheets and strips and ultra-thin sheets. Steel wire is also wound into coils.
The steel coils produced in the rolling mill can weigh up to 45 tons.
Steel coils are often further processed via slitting lines into so-called strips (slitting) or thin sheets (cross cutting). Some rollforming equipment is also capable of handling entire steel coils as feed material.
Steel coil and its processed products usually face high expectations in terms of product quality, dimensional accuracy, and surface properties. A large consumer of sheet metal in steel coils is, for example, the automotive industry.
Steel strip wound into steel coils is produced from hot rolled coils by cold rolling. Cold forming produces high dimensional accuracy, improves surface quality, and accomplishes greater material strength through strain-hardening. Above all, reduced strip thicknesses can be produced by cold rolling.
By combining hot-rolling and cold-rolling processes, very precise material properties can be achieved as well. In cold forming, much higher forces have to be applied than in hot forming, due in part to strain-hardening.
Steel sheet in coils are used in many applications, including:
- Automotive manufacturing
- Electrical Industry
- Light-weight construction
- Construction Industry/Architecture
- Household appliance manufacturer
- Packaging industry
- High degree of dimensional accuracy
- High strength
- Good forming properties
- Good manufacturing properties (cutting, joining, coating)
- Very good surface quality possible ("body shell quality")
- Low to very low thicknesses possible
- Wide range of qualities and dimensions
- Recyclable indefinitely
We stock steel coils of the following materials in various dimensions on our platform:
- DX 51D (1.0026)), EN 10143/10346
- DC 01+ZE 25/25 APC (1.0330), EN 10152/10131
- DC 01A (1.0330), EN 10130/10131
- DC 04A (1.0338), EN 10130/10131